Monday, February 5, 2018

Report from the Field

Teachers practicing with the green screen
I love teaching, which is why it was such a hard decision for me to leave the classroom to become an instructional coach. The 2 years before I made the move I had become involved with the instructional cadre at my school site; we got together regularly and planned professional development for our colleagues. I really enjoyed being part of this group, taking what I knew, adding it to what others knew and sharing it with the everyone. 

For any teachers, administrators, coaches out there, this is a fantastic model that has shown real results at our school site. Our staff collaborates more, is willing to take more risks, and is more invested in the professional development sessions. 


Teachers during a PD session in the Makerspace
When I started on the journey to create the Makerspace this past spring I wasn't sure what would happen. I could name 5 teachers who would want to use it, think it was a good idea, and bring their classes in. I wasn't sure about the other 70 teachers. As with any professional development I lead, it's about the buy in. So we showed it to the teachers. We had them make their own green screen videos. We had them participate in a design thinking lesson. We let them simmer with the idea. I didn't go around asking teachers to sign up, asking them what lessons they could do in the Makerspace. I let them talk to each other. Recently when an 8th grade history teacher asked me about using the green screen, I sent her to a 7th grade history teacher who had done it recently to see the results. 

And so she bought in. Instead of assigning a research paper, as she had done the last few years, as a culminating activity for Lewis and Clark, she took a leap. For a week she let her students plan, research, and record their learning.  Here is a portion of the e-mail she sent me at the end of the week:
"We used the cloth and feathers for costumes for Lewis, Clark and Sacajawea, and some heavy card stock for prompter cards for actors.  Little mushroom stools were really helpful in getting kids in place for the green screen shooting.  We had a lot of fun making our creations. I may miss you, so I was wondering if you would mind sending someone to fetch the key.  If not we will connect I am sure. This was a really neat opportunity and the kids had a blast.  We all learned a LOT!"
Not only did she buy in, her students bought in. They got to learn, play, and create. This is what education should be about. This is what education is about.







No comments:

Post a Comment

The JB Way

The world of education is broken down into three parts: elementary, secondary, and higher ed. There are some pretty distinct differences bet...