Thursday, September 15, 2022

The JB Way

The world of education is broken down into three parts: elementary, secondary, and higher ed. There are some pretty distinct differences between the levels. I got my start in elementary and fell into secondary. One of the first things I noticed when I moved levels is that secondary folks don’t add as many themes and flair to their classroom, projects, etc. This is not a criticism, just more of an observation. My colleagues will tell you that I love a good theme. I go all out on holidays: shirts, earrings, headbands, you name it, I will wear it. My office is a fun space with lots of color. When my environment is happy, I am happy. 

But my enthusiasm for themes and adding flair to activities and events has taken on a different level this year...  

I am coordinating our School Wide Positive Behavior and Intervention Supports program (SWPBIS). This means that I am creating systems and programs to ensure students follow rules, are safe, and create a positive environment for all. This is challenging on a campus of 1400 plus students who have 1400 plus unique backgrounds and personalities.  

Last year was tough for all of us and my team is committed to better year for our students and staff. We are already off and running with school wide expectations of “The JB Way: Safe, Responsible, Respectful”. We have a door decorating contest currently in progress, a t-shirt design contest that just started, and we hold weekly raffle drawings for students who are leading the way!  

One of the reasons that we create these systems and programs is to provide extrinsic motivation to our students. Who doesn’t like a reward? I often reward myself when I finish a task, which is the intrinsic motivation I have developed over time. Adolescent brains are still developing and often they need guidance and boundaries to be successful. 

What I most needed to make my program successful in the moment was prizes, ways to get students excited for our program. So, I turned to my family and friends and Amazon. In just a few days I received Rubik Cubes, pens, pencils, candy, sketch books, and more. Our first drawing was last week and the winners were excited about their prizes. I am so grateful to have a strong support system of people who show up with no questions asked and share in my excitement!!! 

We have more fun planned this year which will mean more wish lists so stay tuned! I honestly can't do this alone and I'm so thankful I don't have to. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

The JB Way

The world of education is broken down into three parts: elementary, secondary, and higher ed. There are some pretty distinct differences bet...